Sunday 23 September 2012

Chapter 3 Teachback Reflection


Self-Assessment: Chapter 3 Teachback                             Presented on September 17, 2012

What did you want the class to learn from your teachback presentation?

The chapter in which I taught, Chapter 3 was a very difficult chapter for me to understand. But, the author of the textbook even assures us educators that the most important thing with this chapter, was basic understanding. So, I wanted to at least know that my classmates would leave class with enough information to hopefully spark their interest to learn more, or to know how to respond in the future when they are approached by parents/students/fellow educators about assessment scores and so on.

How did you asses what they learned?

the hardest thing for me in this presentation, was knowing their true knowledge acquired. I tried being very verbal, in asking as I went along questions to see if they were following me.

I am proudest of these components of my teachback presentation: (explain why)

Honestly, I am proud that I got through it without fainting! But seriously, again, this chapter was full of numbers, equations, definitions, and yet at the same time the author is saying it is just good to know more for yourself. I am proud though that I was able to (I believe) take the given information and reconstruct it into more straight forward knowledge.

 I can improve my teaching in the following ways: (explain why you felt these are areas that needed to be improved)

Even though I spent years in front of a large audience, I always get nervous getting up in front of the  class. This is something that I am slowly trying to learn how to relax more and just stay positive that what I am teaching is getting stored into my student’s minds, (or rather, my fellow classmates). I think for this chapter in general, I could have broken the lesson down into more sections, but time was limited this go around.

Ideas to contemplate?

Do not assume that any child will produce a certain grade, just because of past assessments. A student may get different grades depending on underlying issues which we may not know about. This is why checking reliability of our assessments is important so that if a teacher comes asking about how we tested the student, we can show them first the reliability of the test.

Why was it important to study this chapter?

Again, this chapter holds knowledge that all educators should know, though may not always preform. It is important to understand (at least) what reliability means in education. Assessment and evaluation is how we determine if a student is learning what we are giving them or not. And we need to know how to check ourselves or even others in the assessment reliability.

2 comments:

  1. You did well in your teachback! I agree that your chapter was very difficult, but you did well. You explained everything in a way where we could all understand. You asked questions after every slide to see if we were following you, and that was very good. I was actually so confused reading the book, but listening to you made it clear. Yes, i know you were nervous because you were red! But even though, you presented very well. Good job on your activities and lecture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did really good job Lauren; I was able to see you much you prepared for the lecture and I know the chapter that u went was the hardest chapter! If I had to present the chapter, I would not make the way u made. Overall, u did really a good job!!! Awesome!!!=) U was so verbal and u seemed even not nervous at all!:)

    ReplyDelete